Harmonic Cancellation Technique of Four Pole Induction Motor Drive by Using Phase Shifted Carrier Space Vector PWM Technique
AbstractThe voltage source inverter fed induction motor drive produces pulsating torque due to harmonics present in the output voltage of the inverter. Therefore reduction of harmonics is the major concern in any power converter fed ac drives. In this paper, a harmonic reduction technique for four pole induction motor drive is presented. A modified carrier based space vector PWM technique with suitable phase shift between modulating and carrier waves used to cancel the harmonic content in the output voltage. In order to use this PWM technique, stator winding of the four pole induction motor is disconnected exactly at middle and each part of the winding is fed with two two-level inverters from both the sides. All these two-level inverters are supplied by two isolated dc sources to avoid the path for zero sequence currents. By using proposed PWM technique to the inverter configuration, all lower order harmonics are shifted to four times switching frequency. The proposed concept is tested with 5hp four-pole induction motor in MATLAB/Simulink and experimentally also verified with laboratory prototype. Simulation and experimental results show the effectiveness of the proposed topology in complete linear modulation region and also demonstrate the improvement in harmonic profile.
2. G. von Pfingsten and K. Hameyer, "Highly efficient approach to the simulation of variable-speed induction motor drives," in IET Science, Measurement & Technology, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 793-801, 9 2017. doi: 10.1049/iet-smt.2017.0152.
3. D. Han, S. Li, Y. Wu, W. Choi and B. Sarlioglu, "Comparative Analysis on Conducted CM EMI Emission of Motor Drives: WBG Versus Si Devices," in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 64, no. 10, pp. 8353-8363, Oct. 2017.
4. M. Asefi and J. Nazarzadeh, "Survey on high-frequency models of PWM electric drives for shaft voltage and bearing current analysis," in IET Electrical Systems in Transportation, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 179-189, 9 2017.
5. N. Bodo, E. Levi, M. Jones, "Investigation of Carrier-Based PWM Techniques for a Five-Phase Open-End Winding Drive Topology ,"IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 2054-2065 , May 2013.
6. Chung-Ming Young, Neng-Yi Chu, Liang-Rui Chen, Yu-Chih Hsiao, Chia-Zer Li, "A Single-Phase Multilevel Inverter With Battery Balancing ,"IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 1972-1978 , May 2013.
7. Ewanchuk, J.; Salmon, J., "Three-limb Coupled Inductor Operation for Paralleled Multi-level Three-Phase Voltage Sourced Inverters," Industrial Electronics, IEEE Transactions on , vol.60, no.5, pp.1979,1988, May 2013.
8. Naderi, R.; Rahmati, A., "Phase-Shifted Carrier PWM Technique for General Cascaded Inverters," Power Electronics, IEEE Transactions on , vol.23, no.3, pp.1257,1269, May 2008 doi: 10.1109/TPEL.2008.921186.
9. Jun Mei; Bailu Xiao; Ke Shen; Tolbert, L.M.; Jian Yong Zheng, "Modular Multilevel Inverter with New Modulation Method and Its Application to Photovoltaic Grid-Connected Generator," Power Electronics, IEEE Transactions on , vol.28, no.11, pp.5063,5073, Nov. 2013.
10. Ned Mohan, Tore M. Undeland, William P. Robons “Power electronics converters, applications and design,” Third ediition, New delhi 2011, pp.215-217.
11. Sivakumar, K.; Das, A.; Ramchand, R.; Patel, C.; Gopakumar, K., "A three level voltage space vector generation for open end winding IM using single voltage source driven dual two-level inverter," TENCON 2009 - 2009 IEEE Region 10 Conference , vol., no., pp.1,5, 23-26 Jan. 2009.
12. J. Chatzakis, M. Vogiatzaki, H. Rigakis, M. Manitis, E. Antonidakis “novel High Bandwidth Pulse-Width Modulated Inverter”, Proceedings of the 10th WSEAS International Conference on CIRCUITS, Vouliagmeni, Athens, Greece, July 10-12, 2006 pp280-285.
13. Mwinyiwiwa, B.; Boon-Teck Ooi; Wolanski, Z.; , "UPFC using multiconverter operated by phase-shifted triangle carrier SPWM strategy," Industry Applications, IEEE Transactions on , vol.34, no.3, pp.495-500, May/Jun 1998.
14. Naderi, R.; Rahmati, A.; , "Phase-Shifted Carrier PWM Technique for General Cascaded Inverters," Power Electronics, IEEE Transactions on , vol.23, no.3, pp.1257-1269, May 2008.
15. Govindaraju, C.; Baskaran, K.; , "Efficient Sequential Switching Hybrid-Modulation Techniques for Cascaded Multilevel Inverters," Power Electronics, IEEE Transactions on , vol.26, no.6, pp.1639-1648, June 2011.
16. K. Sivakumar, Anandarup Das, Rijil Ramchand, Chintan Patel, and K. Gopakumar, “A Five-Level Inverter Scheme for a Four-Pole Induction Motor Drive by Feeding the Identical Voltage-Profile Windings From Both Sides”, IEEE Transactions on industrial electronics, vol. 57, No. 8, August 2010, 2776-2784.
17. Nallmekala, K.K.; Sivakumar, K., "A five-level inverter topology for four pole induction motor drive with single DC link," Environment and lectrical Engineering (EEEIC), 2012 11th International Conference on , vol., no., pp.84,89, 18-25 May 2012.
18. Cengelci, E.; Enjeti, P.N.; Gray, J.W., "A new modular motor-modular inverter concept for medium-voltage adjustable-speed-drive systems," Industry Applications, IEEE Transactions on , Vol.36, No.3, pp.786,796, May/Jun 2000.
19. Donald Grahame Holmes, Brendan P. McGrath; , “Opportunities for Harmonic Cancellation with Carrier-Based PWM for Two-Level and Multilevel Cascaded Inverters," Industry Applications, IEEE Transactions on , Vol. 37, No. 2, March/April 2001.
20. V.T. Somasekhar, S. Srinivas, B. Prakash Reddy, Ch. Nagarjuna Reddy and K. Sivakumar, “Pulse width-modulated switching strategy for the dynamic balancing of zero-sequence current for a dual-inverter fed open-end winding induction motor drive,” IET Electr. Power Appl., 2007, 1, (4), pp. 591–600.
21. D. Casadei, G. Serra, A. Tani, and L. Zarri, “Theoretical and experimental analysis for the rms current ripple minimization in induction motor drives controlled by SVM technique,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 1056–1065, Oct. 2004.
22. G. Narayanan and V. T. Ranganathan, “Analytical evaluation of harmonic distortion in PWM ac drives using the notion of stator flux ripple,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 466–474, Mar. 2005.
23. Ramachandra Shekar, K.; Srinivas, S.:, “Discontinuous Decoupled PWMs for Reduced Current Ripple in a Dual Two-Level Inverter Fed Open-End Winding Induction Motor Drive”, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 28, No. 5, May 2013.
24. Basu, Kaushik; Prasad, J.S.S.; Narayanan, G.; Krishnamurthy, H.K.; Ayyanar, R., "Reduction of Torque Ripple in Induction Motor Drives Using an Advanced Hybrid PWM Technique," Industrial Electronics, IEEE Transactions on , vol.57, no.6, pp.2085,2091, June 2010.
25. Donald Grahame Holmes and Brendan P. McGrath, “Opportunities for Harmonic Cancellation with Carrier-Based PWM for Two-Level and Multilevel Cascaded Inverters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 574-582, Mar./Apr. 2001.