Electromagnetic Valve Control in Internal Combustion Engines by PID
AbstractEngines with variable poppet valve timing systems are among numerous efforts that aim to reduce engine emissions and/or increase efficiency. In the present paper we have investigated the stability of a magnetic valve system in MATLAB. First we designed the magnet and interactive forces inside the electromagnetic valve system, then we produced a mechanical model for the system by using a two degree of freedom mass and spring system and finally designed a PID controller to maintain system stability. The results of the present study indicate that the controller had decreased the maximum valve displacement domain and duration from 2 mm to 0.001 mm and 0.1 seconds to 0.022 seconds, respectively. Poppet valve settling speed was 0.0126 and had a standard deviation of 0.1304 while the armature settling speed was 0.0184, with a standard deviation of 0.1363. Passes for the phases were -37.5 and -169, with gains of 10.3 and -9.35.
2. W. Baoping, “Effects of design and operating parameters on thestatic and dynamic performance of an electromagnetic valve actuator”, J. Automobile Engineering, Vol. 217 Part D: PP. 193-
3. W. Baoping, “Effects of design and operating
parameters on thestatic and dynamic performance
of an electromagnetic valve actuator”, J.Automobile Engineering, Vol. 217 Part D: PP. 193- 201. 2011.
4. D. Cazacu, and C. “Stanescu Performance Analysis of a Solenoidal Electromagnet”, Scientific Bulletin of the Electrical Engineering faculty No. 2. pp1056-1058. 2011.
5. T. NAKAO and T. KAI, “A Continuous Control Input Generation Method in Model Predictive Control for an Electromechanical Valve”, SICE Transaction on Industrial Application Vol. 9, No. 20,PP.148-155. 2010.
6. T. A. Parlikar, M. D. Seeman, W. S. Chang, D. J. Perreault, “Design and Experimental Implementation of an Electromagnetic Engine Valve Drive”, IEEE/ASME Vol. 10, No. 5. 2005.
7. R. E. Clark, G. W. Jewell, S. J. Forrest, J. Rens, and C. Maerky, “Design features for enhancing the performance of electromagnetic valve actuation systems”, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol.4.